What are rotary switches?
Rotary Switches are multi-functional electromechanical switches which can be a great alternative to a push-button switch. They are designed to twist and turn a whole 360O or move around to the next position with the help of a rotating pin inside which allows the cap to rotate. A key feature of a Rotary Switches is that it can be used to control many different circuits or controls with a single switch. Our Rotary switches are available in a range of sizes, shapes and material.
Types of Rotary Switches: This is a selection of rotary switches
- Selector Switches – Selector switches have set positions to which can be rotated to. Our Selector switches can be customised and are available with or without LED illumination.
See the product range of Selector Switches: https://www.rjselectronics.com/category/panel-mount/keylock-selector-switches/selector-switches/
- RJS-SDE is a Multi-functional and multi-purpose surface mount switch with a full colour screen TFT display and push-button feature. Added key features include low profile push-button function.
- Encoder Switches are PCB switches designed to control or monitor a range of functions with a larger circuit. Encoder switches can be considered as rotary switches as they have the rotational function inside.
Key Features of Rotary Switches:
- An alternative to Push Button Switch
- Multi-purpose and Multifunctional to control a range of functions
- Customisable to suit your design
Configuration: By configuration, we are referring to ‘Poles and Throws’. A switch will have two terminals for the current to flow through, to come in and come out. The Poles and Throws determine how many separate circuits the switch can control and the Poles indicate how many switch poles It can be connected to.
Pole and Throw Configurations.
We have a range of rotary switches which support a range of poles and throws. Rotary switches are commonly referred to as single pole and double pole which relates to the number of circuits that are controlled by the switch. The throw defines how many positions the switches poles can be connected to.
• SPSP – single pole single throw SPST rotary switches make or break the connection of a single conductor in a single branch circuit. This switch type typically has two terminals and is referred to as a single-pole switch.
• SPDT – single pole double throw
• DPST – double pole single throw
• DPDT – double pole double throw
• 3PDT – Three poles double throw
• 4DPDT – Four poles double throw
SPDT rotary switches make or break the connection of a single conductor with either of two other single conductors. These switches usually have three terminals and are commonly used in pairs. SPDT switches are sometimes called three-way switches.
DPST rotary switches make or break the connection of two circuit conductors in a single branch circuit. They usually have four terminals.
DPDT rotary switches make or break the connection of two conductors to two separate circuits. They usually have six terminals are available in both momentary and maintained contact versions.
Function: Unlike push button switches available in momentary or latching function to operate a device or function. rotary switches are available as Latching or (maintained) function to turn on/off. This means that when moved into position the rotary switches will stay in place and will require to be moved again to perform the next function.
Mounting style: Through-hole or Panel mount. Our Rotary Switches are available as PCB and Panel Mount. The PCB rotary switches are available as THT and SMT. Our Panel mounts Rotary Switches are available as SMT.
Let us give you a break down of the IP ratings. Click to save or screenshot the table, for future reference. Many of our PCB and panel mount rotary switches are IP rated. For more information about IP ratings, click to read our blog about IP rating.
Dust-tight, protected against water projected from a nozzle.
Dust-tight and protected against powerful water jets.
Dust-tight, protected against water immersion for 30 minutes between depths of 150mm to 1000mm
Dust-tight and protected against continuous water immersion.
– Our rotary switches are IP rated (from the front) which means that our rotary switches are sealed and/or waterproof, making them hardwearing and durable in a range of conditions.
- Audio & Video
- Communication Equipment
- Medical Equipment
- Commercial and Domestic goods
☎️ +44 (0)1234 213600 | 📧 [email protected] | Use our contact the page
Keep informed by joining our mailing list and be sure to follow us on:
Facebook | Twitter |Linked In | Instagram | Pinterest | Youtube